Check this page for the most recent additions and information to the TCHOA website!
TCHOA received a request from Terry Leatherwood, P.E., Civil Engineering Manager, Structures Division/Bridge Inspection Office within the Tennessee Department of Transportation, to share legislative changes that will cause TDOT to modify some of their practices regarding weight posting of certain bridges. Specifically, this new legislation makes a number of changes to T.C.A. 55-7-203 and 55-7-205, the statutes which govern the movement of over-weight vehicles under annual permits.
Attachment 1 is Terry’s initial letter which he requested be distributed to highway officials to make you aware of possible future changes in weight limit posting requirements on certain identified county bridges. Attachment 2 provides additional information based on my request for additional insight from Terry regarding the TDOT processes, implementation procedures, and the potential impact this could have on county highway departments. I have taken the liberty of summarizing and paraphrasing Terry’s answers to my questions. Please read these two attachments very carefully to fully understand how these changes might impact your posting of county bridges in the future. Please read Attachment 1 first, followed by Attachment 2.
- TCHOA presented Charles King with an award honoring his dedication to helping local governments in the state-aid program through TDOT at the Post Legislative Conference in Sevier County.
- The County Technical Assistance Service (CTAS) gave an Internal Controls training program geared towards highway officials. Click here to see the presentation.
- The Gas Tax Estimates for FY2016-2017 are now available. Click here for a listing.
- The Post Legislative Conference will be held May 25th -27th at the Park Vista in Sevier County (Gatlinburg). To register and pay for the conference, click here.
- TRIP, a national transportation research group, has released several reports regarding the status of transportation infrastructure in Tennessee. Click here to read those reports.
- For a listing of upcoming Highway Region meetings dates and locations, click here.
- For information on being certified before the Tennessee Highway Officials Certification Board, click here.
- At this year's TCSA/TCHOA Annual Fall Conference & Trade Show, Chad Collier (Collier Engineering, Inc) and Donald Reid (Metro Davidson County Public Works Department) led the TCHOA training session "Pavement Management, Preservation, and Basic Paving Principals". You can find a copy of their presentation here.
- On Tuesday, October 6, 2015, the The Transportation Infrastructure Alliance, in conjunction with Tennessee County Highway Officials Association, hosted a Transportation Summit at the Embassy Suites in Rutherford County. With the keynote address given by Governor Bill Haslam, presentations and speeches delivered by the Comptroller's office, the Tennessee Advisory Commission on Intergovernmental Relations (TACIR), the American Road & Transportation Builders Association (ARTBA), the Nashville Area Chamber of Commerce and many others, the Summit contained a large amount of information and data illustrating why transportation revenue reform and infrastructure improvements are needed across the state. Click here to learn more about the presentations and presenters at the Summit.
- The Tennessee Highway Officials Certification Board is planning to meet in early October to certify candidates in counties holding a candidate preference primary election. Incumbent candidates previously certified can file a short form with the Certification Board along with documentation of their previous board certification. Click here for the application.
|Important Election Dates:|
|Counties Holding Primaries|
|September 11, 2015||First day to file candidate nomination petition|
|November 25, 2015||Deadline for filing affidavit of qualification with Highway Certification Board|
|March 1, 2016||Primary Election|
|January 8, 2016||First day to file candidate nominating petition|
|March 24, 2016||Deadline for filing affidavit of qualification with Highway Certification Board|
|August 4, 2016||Election Day|